Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando...not really...just a joke



Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando is not without a flaw or two but overall I have to say that I loved it. The kids and I had a lot of fun playing it together, and the kids still love to play it (even though I've done just about everything there is to do and I think I'm done with it). For a game with such depth its unbelievably kid friendly. The kids love all the different weapons and vehicles that you get to use. It seems the humor is aimed at kids; its funny, but it's not truly funny. Ever since Portal came out my standards for video game humor have gone up a notch. Still, the game has a kind of cheesy-cartoon type of humor that has a lot of charm.

The different play modes of the game keept me from getting bored. You race bikes, fight spaceships, fight gladiator style in a dome, and run around a blast the crap out of a large variety of enemies with a large variety of weapons. You can upgrade the weapons by purchasing upgrades, and they become stronger (to a point) through frequent use. That kind of mechanic is addictive to me. Still, the weapons become less and less effective as the game goes on, so that it almost feels like they're getting weaker, instead of stronger. I almost quit half-way through the game, and that would have been a mistake! I decided to just push through the game as fast as I could to get to the end. Once I had beat the final boss and began the game again on Challenge Mode I really started to have fun! I had to look up the "cheat" for beating the final boss (stay on the ledge and keep hitting him with the sniper-type gun), but once the game started again the it became incredibly enjoyable. The money comes faster. The weapon upgrades come faster. The point of the game is so much more clear! I wish the game started in that mode!

I enjoyed it as much as I have ever enjoyed a platformer. There're tons of weapons to collect, level up, and use. The arena fights are fun and challenging as well. I wasn't too keen on the space battles and the bike races, but that's just me. Overall, I loved this game. It consumed my life for a week, and now I can't wait to find other games in the Ratchet & Clank series to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment