Boss too hard? Reboot!




It happened. Majora (in Majora's Mask) made me restart. I got to the final boss, I was defeated, so I went back to the beginning: I started over from scratch, only this time I brought a walkthrough to help me. I have a history of doing this, and I wonder how common it is for gamers to do this.

I did this with Final Fantasy VII; I got to Sephiroth, got utterly destroyed in an epic hour-long battle, and perished. I went to the store the next day, purchased the strategy guide, realized how much stuff I missed along the road to the boss, and decided that the easiest way to get all that stuff was to start over and follow the guide.

Final Fantasy X was a little different. I got to the boss, defeated it, but had such a great time along the way that I went out and bought the strategy guide the day before I beat the boss. So, once I had defeated the final boss on my own I had the guide ready to go and I started again from the beginning immediately. Defeating the boss with all my characters at level 99 and all the ultimate weapons was probably one of the most satisfying RPG experiences I've ever had. I love to be overpowered. I love to wipe out the final boss!

I only made it 6 hours into Final Fantasy XII before I realized that I needed a guide. Mostly I wanted a map of the License Grid. But I once again faced the final boss with all my characters at level 99. It's feels so good. So good!

But, back to Majora's Mask, I'm at about 75% on the walkthrough. When playing on my own I was surprised by the number of collectables I couldn't find. I had less than half the heart pieces, only about 60% of the masks, and only three of six bottles. So, I'm going through the game again from the beginning and following the guide. I'm still loving it, perhaps even more than the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment